Devlog # 1: Upgrading to Symfony 3 and PHP 7
We live in a constantly changing technological and digital environment in which it is necessary (and also our responsibility) to update ourselves. We have taken advantage of the summer break to tackle these tasks, updating our core tools for the development of Foxize Cloud: PHP and Symfony.
Update to PHP 7
- Performance improvement by 30%.
- From 50 to 150 requests per second to the server. It allows a greater number of simultaneous users, being faster and more efficient.
- Less memory consumption.
PHP is a popular scripting language specialized in developing dynamic web pages. This new version improves its performance without the need to implement anything. Many improvements have been made and others have been removed (deprecated). This has involved our IT team to do a detailed review of all the training platform code, reducing possible errors and making it more robust.
Update to Symfony 3
- Access to new libraries like Webpack Encore. It allows us to add add-ons and customize them, saving us time. Also, stagnant libraries have been updated.
- More security against external attacks.
- Long-term maintenance, until 2022.
- Improved Foxize Cloud performance. The loading speed of the platform’s website is much higher, and we continue working on the mobile version.
Symfony es un framework PHP usado para la creación de páginas web y aplicaciones web con una biblioteca de recursos y assets reutilizables y adaptables a las necesidades de cada proyecto. Esto permite a nuestro equipo IT centrarse en el desarrollo de las funciones más importantes y únicas que caracterizan a Foxize Cloud sin preocuparse de pequeños y tediosos detalles.
Symfony is a PHP framework used for the creation of web pages and web applications with a library of resources and reusable assets adaptable to the needs of each project. This allows our IT team to focus on developing the most important and unique features that characterize Foxize Cloud without worrying about small and tedious details.
What have these updates meant?
- Complete review of our code and update it to the last line.
- Reorder branches in Git.
- Testing, a lot of testing.
What will they allow us?
- Make Foxize Cloud faster, safer and more stable
- New opportunities and resources for development.
- Improve team productivity.
Our purpose is to update a version once a month. It involves keeping up to date with news, updating packages, checking compatibility and testing. Despite all this work, these tools improve developer productivity, save time, resources and focus on what really matters to us: providing you with an agile and simple platform to manage your training.